The importance of a home inspection checklist or a pre-purchase inspection checklist is an important step in protecting yourself from buying a home with hidden faults that will require costly repairs. We have included a free 7 page printable pdf format home inspection checklist to be used as a first home visit for note taking. 128 KB (pdf)
Self Home Inspection Checklist (Free pdf)
This printable inspection checklist is detailed and covers all the major systems of the home. As all homes are not made the same, there may be rooms and / or add-ons that we do not cover here. This inspection checklist covers:
- Basement :: includes the ceiling, foundation, electrical, floors, walls, heating and windows.
- Laundry Area :: washer / dryer hook-ups, doors, windows, ceiling, electrical, floors and water damage.
- Bathrooms :: includes cabinets, floor, ceiling, drain, shower, sink, faucets, tub and a water damage verification.
- Kitchen :: includes the inspection of cabinets, counter tops, floors, faucets, electrical, sink and ceiling.
- Bedrooms, Living Rooms and hallways :: includes the ceilings, closets, doors, walls, floors, windows and stairs.
- Exterior of the Home:: includes balcony, deck, brickwork, chimney, driveway, fences, drainage and roof.
A proper home inspection from a professional home inspector is always HIGHLY recommended but that doesn't excuse you from looking carefully over the home before you get to the inspection stage. By keeping a sharp eye out, you may be able to spot some major problems and eliminate a potential property before paying for an inspector.
This free downloadable House Inspection Checklist can be used on homes and condos in the United States and all provinces of Canada including British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and NFLD.
This home inspection checklist is supplied "as is" without warranty of any kind.
- This is not a legal form and there is no support for it, other than reasonable efforts to make changes as needed or as requested.
- As this is a free inspection checklist, there is no legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this checklist. Please hire a professional home inspector to complete a more detailed home inspection.